In Formation

- the possible roles and failings of the design discipline in light of social engagement

A collection of example througout cultural and political protests gave me an insight into how people handle with their identities and express their vision of the future.

I choose a current example of a student activism which is going on right now in Bankok,
Thailand.

SRF made a report about the topic just in that week we were assigned to do this task and what immediately catched my attention about this activism was the gesture-sign the protesters are using. They evolved a three-finger sign as their visual gesture of contribution - the three fingers are assigned to the three claims the protest aims for: 

1. Replacement of the parlament

2. New constitution

3. No more political persecution

Gesture-signs are a strong tool to encourage engagement, but are also biased from the history, where gesture signs developed into a symbol of cult affiliation.

The following discussions and inputs went all around identity/intersections and acting in these.

 

Some Notes on the excerpt of Intersectionality by Kimberle Crenshaw:

- How structer make certain identities

- What are the polities? What are the institutionale structures?

- What are the consequences of not having a intersectuanal politics?

E.g. anti-racism and feminism reinforce each other

- Intersectual failure of the past = trojan horses of today


And some remarks from peers which made me think further:

- Beeing neutral is super hard, it's easier to like/dislike > Ismael

- Activism takes a lot of different shapes > Edna

- Link between activism and identity > Andy

 

- Reflecting what my Intersection between in&outer impact/intersection/convergence is holds back a clear answer. For sure I can say, that I want my work to have a sustainable Impact (sustainable in many layers such as democratic, eco-friendly, long-lasting and more). Especially the eco-friendly part evolved out of my parents education and values I share - they are a matter of obvious for me and not a constrain. In this sense, I don't want my work to feel forced for any user (because I reject violence in any kind of format), in fact it should make them feel more convenient than an unsustainable alternative. I see my task to let them contribute to a better world with no effort, cause thats in my opinion how design can reach the biggest impact.

Comments

Popular Posts