Own It

 - being aware of my responsibilities and endangerments concerning my BA Thesis

Responsibility as a Designer for your work was a often thematised topic during the past two years. And I think it's justifiable to talk so much about it, because we (as ZHdK Design Alumni) influence so many peoples life with our products and projects. One eye-opening moment concerning the responsibility topic was when we got introduced to the "Golden circle" by Simon Sinek which asks you to start your design process with the WHY:

Sinek’s Golden Circle | make a powerful pointLooking for the worst case scenario that could happen with my BA Thesis, I would see two aspects: 

1. First the situation that I am not satisfied with it - this could be by many reasons, for example that I get the impression that I did not hard work enough for it, that the outcome is to trivial, that it's not fullfilling it's purpose etc.

2. Second that a critique relativies the whole outcome. Maybe not a single critique, but professional opinions which would potentially return as feedback after the publication will for sure contain critique. And if the critique is appropriated and has a point, the BA Thesis might be relativised or in the best case I can addapt to the new learnings.

Reflection on past BA Thesis, I was looking for rolemodels as well for the good as for the improvable.

Sticking to my mind was the Presentation from Andrin Gorgi & Stefan Lustenberger - from their documentation and also the process insight I gained during the semester they made a great job and had a fabulous outcome - but the final presentation they made (even concerning the exeptional format caused by COVID-19) was not pleasant for me as a viewer.

Also in memory stayed Claudia Buck & Randy Chen with their video about Story to recovery. I think they made a great job in storytelling, especially with the choosen language of Swiss-German by representing the childrens world more authentic.

- If I am satisfied with the outcome and can stand behind it, the upcoming critiques can be taken as learnings and space to imprve/further develop my thesis but not relativise the same. A special eye I want to give to my communication channels for the Thesis, because these are the media how people learn about it and gain interest, with these channels I need to shine in order to not undersell the work: trough the presentation, video, exhibition and documentation.




Comments

Popular Posts